Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Going Back to Nature (repeating multiples 0809)


This particular artwork, called “Going back to Nature” represents a log. Since I was given a limitation of materials I could use for this project of “Repetition Multiples”. I had to push myself to find the characteristics and limits of paper. In the thinking process, I focused on the origin of the abundance of office papers that we use on a daily basis for printing and work purposes. These papers are from trees in a forest and I was trying to bring fragile and flat sheets of paper back into its natural form. To make this office paper stayed, solid and firm, I started to roll sheets of papers diagonally. This method was the far most efficient and fastest way to make paper solid and rigid.
Just a few months ago, I had a chance to meet a Canadian artist, Michelle Allard, in a Buschlen Mowatt scholarship program at Arts Umbrella. Similar to this project of “Working with Many”, Michelle had numerous rolled florescent paper piled to create an illusion of hills. This gave me the source of inspiration for this project that simple objects like rolled paper can hold a very powerful aesthetic value. Her work was mostly a labour based artwork, requiring many volunteers to roll papers.
The log that I have made with hundreds of rolled papers contains age rings to recreate the essence of a cross-section of cut logs. Also, rolling hundreds of sheets by myself was a such a overwhelming experience that it took me over 10 hours to complete the project. Although numerous hours has been put into this piece of artwork in the midst of a tight schedule, I have no regrets about spending so much time on it. For the next project, “Evolving Duration Project”, I would like to create an art piece that can be made within several hours.

No comments: