Thursday, November 6, 2008

untiled - white plastic cups




Attracted by Donovan’s unusual artistic style of accumulation, I incorporated common everyday object to create an incredibly organic sculpture that is suggestive in a shape of a single cell organism.
I basically wrapped my body with small white plastic cups to create a visual representation of a single cell organism such as an amoeba. Also, it has a dynamic relationship with myself since it is wearable and provides me a small resting place from a fast-paced world. The white cups around my body suggest my purity and sense of innocence and seem to embrace me and protect my body. By one wearing this sculptural piece, it covers up one’s ethnicity and identity, breaking down the racial barrier that exists among people.
This whole project required an extensive amount of energy and was a very time consuming project. Not only did I have to pay great attention to assembling each cup, I consistently did try on the sculpture to get a general fit of the sculpture onto my body, while also considering the aesthetic appeal of this organic structure. Since each cup has a thick round edge and a depth, the repetitive use of cups created a strong visual pattern and volume that are reminiscent of a beehive, allowing me to learn the power of accumulation using same materials. Ultimately, this project has allowed me to appreciate the prominent artist’s work and view it as a stepping stone to find my own artistic style and interest in contemporary art.

No comments: