Wednesday, September 17, 2008

new artwork

In My Memory 2007 mixed media




Futuristic 2007 mixed media sculpture


My intention was to create several groupd of 3D objects which look like 2-dimensional painting. For futuristic image, three 3D cubes were made with bamboo stick. Dried branches in 3 bright flourescent colors give glowing effect. 3 oval-shaped silver rings with abract image represents the space, while curved yellow line reminds me of yellow line on a curved road. I love the combination of white, metallic, bright fluorescent colors in dark background. By arranging cube, oval, square objects to look edgy, organic, and dynamic. I experience an amazing travel to the unknown space in my imagination.




Who Killed the Electric Cars? 2007 Gal kid medium on the print


I developed this work from one of the current controversal social issues in automobile industry, which I have a deep interest in. The short documentary film titled "Who killed the electric cars?" inspired me to start this project. In 1996 GM introduced an elctric car called EV1 and started to lease them to the public. However, this car project didn't seem to benefit their business partner, Shell, becasue it didn't consume any fuel. In 2003 GM suddenly announced that the lease of EV1 would discontinue. Instead, GM started to put huge investment on the development of hydrogen cars in partnership with Shell for better profit. It was a result of conflict between Eco-friendly vs. Economy. The leasers of EV1 expressed their anger and grief by publickly performing the funeral of EV1.


As a future car designer, I felt sympathetic wtih developers and users of EV1 about the death of the EV1. In memory of the discontinued model, I would like to created something special In this artwork, I applied several layers of Gal kid on the picture which displayed the piles of crushed EV1's, expressing depression, frustration and sadness. I want to convey the message that EV1 remain only in memory. Who made the Electric Cars? Who killed the Electric Cars? That's the irony.

No comments: