Friday, July 4, 2008

ARTWORKS

Light 2006 charcoal
Using charcoal, I draw the upper interior of a shopping mall. I was fascinated by the contrast of the strikingly bright light coming from the ceiling and the thick black steel beam within the ceiling.


Symbol M, McDonald
"Symbol M" is pop art using accrylic paints. Our society seems to be mesmerized by one of the fastfood companies, McDonald. We see McDonald's ads on TV or on the bus. The reason that I chose the pop art project is because I personally think that it is a great tool to reflect our social and cultural atmosphere in which we currently live, namely what we like, what we think, what kinds of value we admire. This project led me to realize how McDonald affects and impacts our society. Being fast and convenient is one of our most important values in our ordinary lives.

Extreme Power Vacuum 2005 pencil & color pencil
This drawing is one piece of a series of pencil drawing of Extrem Power. I was very interested in various models of vacuum. When I saw this extreme power vacuum, I wanted to capture the imaginery scene in which the powerful vacuum was sucking up the light dandelion seeds.

Extreme Power 2005 pencil & color pencil
As one of a series of Extreme Power, this drawing shows my imagination that a powerful and heavy staple machine is blowing out the dandelion seed into the air.











Glowing Night Spring 2006 oil

This is a painting in oil of the late night scene of downtown Vancouver in early winter. I started by applying Gesso on the canvas to get an interesting texture which resembled raindrop One of the challenges in this project was to capture the atmosphere of a rainy and blurry image and the moment of stillness in deep darkness. My focus was on the glowing neon sign and the reflected lights on a wet road in contrast to the dark background.




Self-portrait summer 2006 mixed media on paper

This is one of my series of self-potraits. This mixed media painting is my own reflection in the mirror in my art studio during break time. I tried to capture the real image and mood of myself reflected in the mirror and at the same time the vague of shadow of me on the wall. Colorful marks around the mirror displays my words of silence and reflect my messy personality.

No comments: