Friday, July 4, 2008

Tsunami 2005 mixed media on paper

Tsunami 2005

On December 26, 2004, the whole world was shocked by the disaster that happened near the Indian Ocean. Then next day, the front pages of most newspapers were covered by pictures of the tsunami's casulties. One picture really touched me : a crying mother holding her dead son. I was determined to reflect the catastroophic social atmosphere with acyrlic paints. "Deadly Disaster" conveys a message. - Even though the disaster casues suffering to many people, there is still hope and peace. Especially, I was keen to associate hope with the biblical story: Noah's Ark. I placed the boat at the top using bright colors and two tragic casulities at the bottom using dark colors. Dripping acrylic method captures a tear drop effect. I also glued the newsprint title on my painting to recall the horror and immediacy of the disaster.

No comments: